Half-eaten plants and clawed furniture are not the most stylish additions to your decor. Steven's got a few solutions to help keep your cats away from your plants and your furniture! First up, a simple, eco-friendly spray to keep your plants and your cat safe.
What you'll need: Clary Sage Hydrosol
1. Mix together 3/4 parts water with 15 drops of each essential oil. Cats dislike eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, and peppermint – just choose the ones you don't mind the scent of yourself.
2. Shake the bottle up and spray the solution on the leaves of your plant and into the soil.
3. You can spray your plants pretty liberally, and you can add more or less oil depending on what works for you and your cats.
Now that we've saved your plants, we're going to save your furniture with a DIY cat scratcher that looks like art!
What you'll need:
1. Cut carpet pieces into decorative pattern as desired.
2. Attach Velcro (hook & loop tape) to the back of the carpet pieces.
3. With the flat panel against the wall, screw the birch panel into the wall using wall anchors & screws.
4. Peel off backing from Velcro and adhere to the inset section of your panel. Once the carpet piece has been destroyed by the cat's nails, remove the old piece and replace with a new one.
5. Add catnip to the carpet to entice your cat to scratch it!
Audience Relations, CBC P.O. Box 500 Station A Toronto, ON Canada, M5W 1E6
Toll-free (Canada only): 1-866-306-4636
It is a priority for CBC to create products that are accessible to all in Canada including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges.
Fragrance Oil Aroma Diffuser Closed Captioning and Described Video is available for many CBC shows offered on CBC Gem.